This summer is approaching fast – are you prepared for a hike in your air conditioning bill? If not, follow these effortless, straightforward, and free tips and tricks to save your hard earned cash from blowing out the window and spend it on more rewarding activities…
- Close drapes, blinds and shades to help retain heat at night or during unoccupied periods.
- Check the settings on the room air conditioner. Make sure the “fresh air” vent on the air conditioner is closed so you are not cooling outside air.
- Set the thermostat as high as comfortably possible in the summer. The less difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower the overall cooling bill will be. Between 1 and 2% of summer cooling costs can be saved for every degree Farenheit the thermostat is raised.
- Set the thermostat as low as comfortably possible in the winter. The less difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower your overall heating bill will be.
- Set the temperature lower in the winter when your home is unoccupied. Use a programmable thermostat to automatically lower and raise the temperature according to your settings.
- In the winter, reverse your ceiling fan motor so that the blades push air up toward the ceiling, where hot air normally rises. The fan will drive the warm air back down around the edges of the room, which can result in more even heating. Better heat circulation will help combat the problem of sweating windows that some homes experience in the wintertime because of condensation on the glass.
- Examine your duct system for air leaks. Look for sections that should be joined, but have separated, and then look for obvious holes. Consider hiring a contractor to test the ducts and repair leaks and restrictions. Leaking ductwork accounts for more than 25% of heating costs in an average California home.
- Close drapes, blinds and shades to keep sun’s rays out of the home during the warmer months.
Ok, I promised that these tips would be free… but I lied. However, the following tips are extremely low cost and not expensive at all. If you take into regard how much money you will be saving over the years – these are definitely worth the pennies.
- Remove and clean room air conditioner filters monthly. Dirty filters reduce the efficiency of the air conditioner.
- Clean furnace filters monthly. Dirty filters restrict airflow and increase energy use. Keep the furnace clean, lubricated and properly adjusted to save up to 5% of heating costs.
- Call 1-800-AnyTyme and we can send a licensed HVAC technician to your home today! Mention this article and save $20 off any heating repair.