With an overwhelming number of companies offering similar plumbing services, it can be tricky to choose the right plumber. Ideally, you not only want to find a skilled professional who is reliable and honest, but also someone who you can trust to discreetly work around your home and to be available if you ever run into plumbing emergencies. Expertise in a variety of plumbing problems is the first obvious quality to look for, but just like with any other service, you want a respectful, friendly and helpful individual to guide you through the process and deliver the most cost-efficient and quick solution.
Here is a list of what to look for in a plumber:
- Clear communication: you deserve to know what and why there is a problem and exactly what needs to be done, which parts are needed and how long it will take. After all, you are the one paying for the service, and you have the right to know where your buck is going.
- Cleanliness: a professional plumber should always wear protective shoe covers to ensure your carpets and flooring stay clean, and a thorough cleanup after the work is complete should be a given.
- Professional uniform: While looks are by no means everything, a clean attire with clearly visible company logos assure you that you are dealing with a plumber from a reputable company.
- Guarantee of timeliness: No one likes waiting around for a service technician for hours on end, and it is therefore vital that you are given a convenient appointment window for your service, and that the plumber adheres to that schedule. Some companies even offer compensation if your plumber is not on time for the appointment.
- Upfront pricing: never allow a plumber to begin work before you are given a clear, upfront quote on the cost of the project and parts needed. If you are not comfortable with the price quoted, or if you are not given an accurate description of what the price includes, consider contacting another plumber.
Any plumbing company that gives you a good experience with your plumber and leaves you impressed with his performance is worth sticking with for future situations.