Interesting and Fun Facts About Air Conditioning
- Before air conditioners were there to keep things nice and comfortable, people would use big blocks of ice to keep cool. In fact, the output ratings of the first air conditioners were measured based on how much ice would’ve been needed to achieve the same cooling power!
- Children had summer vacation from school because of the lack of air conditioning. Even when air conditioning came about, schools decided to keep this going. Businesses also used to shut down for two months.
- The New York Stock Exchange Building in NYC was one of the first buildings to use air conditioning in 1903.
- The first residential air conditioning system was installed in 1914. It was 7 ft. high, 6 ft. wide, and 20 ft. long.
- Because of the size and cost, only wealthy people with large homes could afford air conditioners. Systems cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000, which today would be like paying $120,000 to $600,000.
- Vegas wouldn’t be VEGAS if it weren’t for AC. In fact, hotter states like Texas, Florida and Nevada can thank air conditioning for their population booms.
- Each year, the amount of energy the U.S. uses to power our air conditioners is almost the same amount of energy that is consumed in all of Africa.
Contact Us About Your A/C
If you suspect a problem with your air conditioner, how it was installed, or just need a peace-of-mind maintenance check, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us here at 1-800-anytyme. We would love to help you out! Contact us via our contact form or call (760) 477-0072 to speak with a member of our team today!